View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #1666
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,444
Ecuador

Today is an exciting day for me. I made it to Ecuador. Don't ask me why, but I never felt far from home until I made it here. Prohdoe Bay is probably further, but everyone does Alaska. Right now, I am about 20 miles from the Equator. And that is pretty cool. And speaking of cool, I didn't realize that it would be this cold here. Being on the equator, one would think it would be really hot. But the Pan American Hwy goes thru the Andes thru Ecuador, The elevation ranges from 5000 to over 10,000 feet. And being up this high, even taking a shit leaves you gasping for air.
For the first time since Alaska, I put on my Gore-tex and rain suit. It rained the whole day here. It's the rainy season.
I am sure you know more about some of these countries than I do if you are reading other people's blogs. I am discovering some stuff for myself that would have been useful before hand.
For example, before I left Colombia, I filled up my 8.7 gallon gas tank. Gas in Colombia is about $5 a gallon. I found out today, gas in Ecuador is $1.50 a gallon. And diesel is about a buck a gallon.
I thnk I am going to really like Ecuador. The roads are amazing. Unlike Colombia, motorcycles have to pay the tools but it is only 20 cents. And the signage is good. There are lots of eco things to do here. It kind of reminds me of Costa Rica. But it better stop raining so I can enjoy this beautiful country