View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #1667
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,437
I met a large group of riders at the border from Venezuela,
They were heading to Lima and then back thru Brazil. Sounds like a fun trip. I passed them on the highway. with a large group, they are only as fast as their slowest rider.
The border crossing was the best so far. No money left my pocket other than making the usually copies of my paperwork and my insurance for 30 days (it costs only $3).
I didn't buy insurance in Colombia even though it was required. I had to buy it for the whole year at a cost of $200. I said screw that. I took the risk if I got pulled over, they could impound my bike. And I did get pulled over twice at route check points. First time they asked for my Seguro (insurance) and I pretended like I didn't know what they were asking for. Then I distracted them with my route map, my GPS and other stuff on my motorcycle. They eventually sent the dumb Gringo on his way.
The other time was yesterday. The guy pulled me over and walked up to me and shook my hand. He asked where I was going and where I was coming from. And when I told him, he shook my hand again and said......Welcome to Colombia , and then sent me on my way.