View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #100
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtronX View Post
Two years ago I was riding from Split via Rijeka and northbound. Just outside Rijeka I had the same experience with slippery roads. I was coming out of a nice right turn when my bike just disappeared below me. No warning I was doing about 70 at the time. I slid across the road and ended up in a ditch on the far side. The bike was OK, but I was hurting. No broken bones, but badly bruised. When I got back on my feet I checked the road. Usually there is sand, the road is wet or you see some discoloring. I saw nothing, but the road was slippery as ice in that turn. I even felt it with my boots

Later I read that the stones they use in the asphalt in that area contains lots of chalk. When the road gets warm the small stones lets of a thin layer of chalk which makes the road slippery as ice. Lessons learned.

Note to self: Drive slow and live longer

Falling in right turn on busy road doesn't sound to appealing. You were lucky that there was no oncoming traffic.

That road winding along Adriatic coast is well known as extremely slippery. Salt from the air is not helping either...

If you're coming this way let me know, it would be great to meet you and hear some Sibirian stories first hand