View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #1683
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods bobby View Post
hey lalo, this is the first time I have commented on your blog. and I will have to say I am fascinated with your adventure and hope you continue with the ride report and be safe. I have a question ,when you bought your bmw did you consider the Yamaha super tenere and if you did what maid you go with the bmw. I am stuck between the super tenere and the new ktm 1190R adventure, what is your thoughts. I feel the bmw is to heavy and I cant get past the look of the boxer engine all though I feel it is very reliable. thanks a bunch and stay safe.
I considered all 3 plus the Triumph Tiger 1200 or 800.
The three things that The BMW has that the others don't are
1) tubeless rims - I guess I could have added them to the others
2) Big gas tank. The BMW is 8.7 gallons. The others aren't even close.
At the time, the other bikes were new and the aftermarket had not made a big tank for the others.
3) Shaft drive. The KTM has a chain.
Plus the BMW is proven after 30 years of development.

I rode my friends KTM 990. is was great. It was more my style.
But the BMW is more comfy for 90% of the riding I do. So why buy a bike for just that 10%
And I agree with you. I don't like how the cyliders stick out in the wind. The KTM has an awesome engine. The Triumph too. I don't like paralel twins. Just my preference.
So even though I am not a BMW guy, there is still no better bike for what I am doing.
If the transmission didn't clunk like a 60 year old bike and it weighed less, then it would be better
The best bike would be a combo of them all.
KTM motor and weight
BMW engineering
Yahama reliability.
And the character of the Tiger
Sign me up for that bike
Who is listening?
make that bike Honda!!!!!