View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #79
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
I have a 02 BMW 1200LT and it is on the chopping block for the same reason. Great bike to ride, and normal maintenance isn't that bad but damn I never want to pay for the servo brake service.

I test rode a '10 HD Ultra and if I was in the market for another touring bike that would be the one I'd get. (currently trying to sell the LT for a DS now tho) Only 2 downsides were the rubber mounted floorboards were too flimsy and my riding pants were getting toasted when I put my right foot down at lights. Other than that, perfect.

You think the LT can eat miles in comfort, it has nothing on the Ultra. Amazing machine.

Another thing to consider is when I did my last 2 bike tours about 90% of the bikes I saw out in the middle of nowhere touring were HD. A few Wings, a Strom or 2, some FJR's, and 1 other BMW is the only other type I saw. That has got to count for something.
Re, seeing the HD's in the middle of nowhere. I have heard this from others who have done long trips and so I've considered going to a Road King or an Ultra when I trade, but I am so familiar with the GL line of Hondas that the knowledge reservoir is something I've not yet been willing to relinquish.

Another snag for me is the notoriety factor of the Harley lineup. Perhaps it's different in other areas of the US (and the world), but in the south the Harley (any Harley) is high on the list for the bike thieves. I've stayed at motels where the Harley guys all have cables and chains inter-locked on their bikes to deter the thugs.

My old Wing, on the other hand, gets about as much notice as the family garbage cart sitting on the curb on Fridays. I just lock the steering column, throw the cover over it, and go to sleep without worry.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote