View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #22
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
From Belen, the next step was to get to Brus Laguna. There's a boat that leaves very early in the morning from belen for brus, getting there in time to catch the brus-ahuas-puerto lempira boat.

From what I could tell there is not a road from ahuas to Puerto lempira, though I didn't do a whole lot of research. The boat rides through this area are really fun, just ripping along these tiny little rivers and seeing how people live along the shoreline. Every so often we would pop out into a big open bay, cross it, and then be back in the little jungle rivers. I don't remember the lengths of the rides but these were pretty long trips, anywhere from 3 to 6 hours each.

belen to brus

Abandoned drug running boats were everywhere, stripped of motors and electronics.

more abandoned boats

Sometimes it gets really shallow and they jump out to push/pull or pole their way through.

This is at the boat dock in brus, transferring to the boat to ahuas

My six seatmates. The guy sitting behind me had a plaid gangsta hat, jean jacket and jeans, dark sunglasses, a six pack of beer, and a Kalashnikov casually slung over his shoulder. Definitely have to get used to lots of guns in this area.

boat dock in ahuas

um... did somebody forget their shotgun??

cool wheelchair

from ahuas there is a short ride of maybe 20 miles to the boat launch for Puerto lempira. there is only one road. easy ride.

this road dead ends in a muddy slough, where there were kids with canoes who took me the rest of the way down the river to the boat launch area.

Sideoff screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 11:40 AM
Sideoff is online now   Reply With Quote