View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #24
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
I wanted to record my recollection of prices here for future travelers who decide to take this interesting route across Honduras.

In general, the standard rate for person + large piece of cargo (i.e. moto) appears to be double the ticket price. I verified this with several people and all the boats charged the same. I didn't have much of a problem with boats trying to overcharge here, only the belen/brus guy tried to overcharge me a little.

Exchange rate is approx 20 lempira/dollar.

Belen to Brus Laguna - 200 lempira for me and 200 for the bike.

Brus to Puerto Lempira via ahuas - 800 lempira for me, 800 for the moto. Prices were approximately half if you stop for the night in ahuas.

Canoe to Puerto lempira boat launch - I paid 150 lempira for this including loading the bike on/off the canoe and also the boat to Puerto lempira. At first that seemed like a lot but it was a lot of work and in retrospect it seemed like a good deal.

I believe that most travelers would not start in belen but rather in batalla, where you would catch a boat to palacios, and from there to brus. I can't confirm this because I hopped in Kevin's boat at batalla, but that was my general plan before meeting him.

In terms of getting the bike on/off the boats, there are porters at the docks. following kevin's lead I tipped these guys 20 lempira each and they seemed happy with that.

Sideoff screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 10:34 AM
Sideoff is offline   Reply With Quote