View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,548
The docs at this link are a great resource: http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisi...conditions.htm

Note: I don't know how to navigate to that page or content from the DVNP website. I was only able to find it because I had a hard copy and googled some phrases from it. I would download the linked docs and print the top level page with definitions. Those docs should give you lots more ideas.

Best map of DV is the one by Tom Harrison Maps. The NatGeo one is good but its bigger and two sided and therefore a bit unwieldy.

April is a great time for DV. No need for a motel once you are there. I usually camp at Panamint Springs Resort as there are a lot of good day rides accessible from there. On site is an OK but expensive restaurant, gas and a meager store. No beer at the store, you can buy beer to go at the restaurant at the restaurant prices. The tent site prices for camping are very reasonable.

If you are going to be there longer than a few days and want a change of scenery, you may want to move base camp to Furnace Creek . If FC CG is full (or you prefer it quiet) go across the street to Texas Springs CG, as it is a no-generator campground.

Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells both have gas, restaurants and better stocked grocery stores.

There are also several remote campgrounds in DV as well as backcountry camping opportunities.

Do you have a GPS? Carrying a SPOT? I guess if you are doing that much slab you'll not be running knobbies? What is your range without the extra gas can? Dakar's are pretty miserly, right?
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote