View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #3561
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,218
Acerbis 5.3 is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
For those that have ridden the 500 with both the Acerbis 3.0 gallon and the KTM Hardparts 3.4 gallon tank what were your ergonomic and riding experiences comparing the two?

Is the KTM slimmer at the tank/seat junction where you grip your knees and legs?

For example, when I rode my 525 with the Hardparts compared to a Clark the Hardparts felt nice and slim between my knees and the width of the shrouds showed their girth only when extending the leg up by them for turns. Whereas the Clark felt thicker through the middle but no shrouds cluttered the legs when motocrossing through turns.

Since Clockworks has done the new mold (to correct fitting problems that were documented on this thread) on their tanks for the 500 has anyone tried the new mold? Does it fit without issues, concerns? what are the latest impressions on the Clockwork?
I have not used the fuel tanks listed above but was waiting last year for the Safari 4.0 gallon fuel tank to be released. It was taking so long I finally decided to buy the Acerbis 5.3 and am I glad I made that decision.

I have exclusively used 4.0 gallon fuel tanks in the past on a DRZ400S and Honda XR650L. I liked them but like the fuel range of the 5.3 so much better and do not feel it is too wide for my 500EXC.

It is wider than the stock tank but that doesn't bother me the way I ride. Here is a few pictures:

It clears my KTM Radiator guards and is easy to install with no modifications: