View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 02:16 AM   #146
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 845
[QUOTE=Open Gate;20977655
Any advice regarding routs and camp sites would be greatly appriciated.
[/QUOTE]
First things first, get yourself the "Backroads Mapbook" for Vancouver Island. Well worth the 24 bucks! Even tells you what the fishing is like!If you're coming in through Victoria I'd say it's mandatory to do "The Circle Route" or at least 3/4's of it and head north at Duncan. It follows the coast all the way to Port Renfrew, then inland to Lake Cowichan. I'd recommend the old highway (Old Lake Cowichan Rd.) over the main highway heading out of Lake Cowichan, it's much more twisty!

As for camping, theres lots of provincial pay sites,Mystic beach is nice, Sombrio Beach is nice, and there's lots of little lakes north of Port Alberni on forest land that are great bush sites if that's what you're into. Go explore the bush anywhere on the Island and you'll find a place to camp for sureif that's your style. I could spend the rest of my life exploring the bush here and not see it all.

Be on alert for logging trucks 7 days a week here, and another thing, they can be a lot wider traveling in the bush, than when they are on the highway! Have fun!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote