View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #613
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,475
Tuareg Rallye 2013 - #76 Mark Brincat - final summary report

"Happy to finish..."

For his first foray into desert rally racing, Mark had elected to ride what many will consider to be the definitive ‘Dakar’ bike - a limited edition factory-built KTM 690 Rallye, designed specifically for crossing desert terrain at high speed.

“I really enjoyed the rally - it offered really varied terrain, and challenging stages - so very much what I imagined... although to be honest a lot of the time it [the route] felt more like an extreme enduro event, with very technical riding - and certainly if I’d known it was going to be like that beforehand, then I would more likely have entered on my lightweight enduro bike rather than the big KTM 690 Rallye - which as it turned out, wasn’t so appropriate a lot of time” he admits.

“It was hard to push for a position riding the Rallye bike - particularly early on in the dunes” he explains “It takes a lot of effort and strength to ride a big bike though the soft sand and more challenging rocky sections, and after I hurt my leg [on the 4th day], it became very hard to control the bike, and I really wasn’t able to ride confidently or safely in those conditions” he explained.

Having taken the start of day 5 despite ongoing pain, Mark elected to withdraw from that stage and ride directly to the final bivouac where he could properly rest and recover.

With 48 hours rest, Mark felt strong enough to ride the final stage (day 7) and complete the event, although he admits that each time he put any pressure on the leg to balance the bike, he was in severe pain... “I hadn’t taken any pain killers this morning, and it was excruciating to be honest!” he grimaces “But I just had to push through to the end...” Fortunately the last stage was a short sprint through 45 kms of dunes, and despite his discomfort, Mark was able to finish his rally on a high with a final stage position of 25th in the Moto Amateur class.

“I’m happy to have been able to finish... but the accident meant that a good result wasn’t to be” He concludes. Mark will now concentrate on racing extreme enduros for the rest of this season, and hinted he would like to return to the Tuareg Rallye next year on a more appropriate [lightweight] machine.

ends.

results #75 Mark Brincat (MTA) - class: Moto Amateur

Day 1: 11th
Day 2: 50th
Day 3: timing suspended
Day 4: 39th
Day 5: 52nd
Day 6: 44th (DNS injury)
Day 7: 25th

49th Overall (MA)

Photo:

JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote