View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #74
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
BIL = Brother In Law

My Brother in Law (known as "BIL" from now on) has been toying with the idea of getting his license and a bike for the last few months... He did the course and got his license in December and we found a good learner bike for him.. We went with another XT so we wouldn't have to double up on spare parts, most the parts I carry for my XT-Tenere will fit this bike also....

A crash damaged 2010 Yamaha XT660R with 730km on the clock:

(photo from the ad)

Basically a brand new bike that had been dropped, replaced by an insurance company, sold at auction, then bought and sold (to us) by a wheeler dealer... Got it for 50% of the new bike price... Good deal IMO, and well suited to a learner who doesn't need the added worry of damaging a pristine bike ... It appeared it had been dropped in course gravel, it had decent gravel rash down the right side and was missing the tank plastics, headlight cowling, screen, and radiator guard...

We gave it a good check over and polished the gravel rash out of the headlight, then set off for his first ride, 200km out towards Gordon dam :

We went out here because it's a good sealed road with very little traffic... He did well, no dramas, a couple of little wobbles when taking off but that's to be expected:

We passed "DirtisGood" on his Italian Stallion along the way, another Tassie inmate that was doing an over-nighter out at Lake Pedder:

His second ride was out the same way, 300km out to Gordon Dam:

No dramas, he did well... I've posted pics out here before, so I'll only add a couple:

Third ride was a short gravel ride:

I wanted him to have a bit of a ride on gravel on the standard tyres so he could get a bit of a feel for the bike sliding on gravel, before I put decent D606 knobbies on it... Figure it's better he get the feel of poor traction at low speed, rather than the higher speed needed to make the knobbies let go... and so he'd appreciate how good knobbies are compared to the standard dual-sport tyres...

Along the power lines out the back of Moogara:

Styx river at about 63km on the route:

At about 69km on the route, up on the northern side of the Styx Valley:

Fires burning between Molesworth and Lachlan:

All good, no issues

:)
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote