View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #75
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Mods and prep

To finish off this page so I can start the big trip on a new page I'll do an update of the new mods...

Part of the reason for the above short gravel ride was to test the side cases on the Tenere with a 20kg sack of horse pellets in each side... These cases were originally on the Dominator... They're mounted on OTR racks using OTR mounting kit (a lot easier than making custom mounts like I did on the Dominator, the joys of having a newer bike, gear like this is available at a reasonable price)... I mounted them as low and as far forward as I could, trying to keep the weight low and forward of the rear axle... Turns out they're perfect, no complaints... The bike rides better with a good load IMO...

Post about the cases and mounts:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4207

I got a hand-me-down HTC Desire HD android phone from BIL, so I've retired the old iPhone (never been a fan of iTunes and such).... And I was given a Spot-2 for xmas by someone that didn't realize I already had a Spot Connect , since it had 12 months service on it and my Spot Connect was due to expire, I've switched to the Spot-2:

The spot was just taped on for that test-ride, it's in a RAM mount now... and I'm not going to bother buying a waterproof case for the phone, I'll just wrap it in a snap-lock bag when it rains...

The Memory-Map app I use for navigation runs fairly well on Android but it doesn't seem as refined as the iPhone version... Occasionally it will crash just after start up, probably due to me having about 20,000km of tracks loaded into it (can't blame it)...

I cut 70mm off the standard screen to try and cut down the wind buffeting my head around, here's a post about it:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4196

(phone and spot-2 wrapped in bags for rain protection, the Spot is waterproof, but I rather be safe than sorry, rain hitting it at speed could probably work it's way around the seals)

The Tenere also got a new rear D606 tyre and the cush rubbers were repacked with inner-tube rubber...

BIL's XT660R got a set of D606's tyres, a B&B rack with my old Ventura soft bag, a set of SW crash bars, SW center-stand, a ram phone mount with waterproof holder for his Samsung S3 phone, a cig-lighter socket wired to the battery to power the phone, a new headlight cowling with a tall screen, and an alloy radiator guard... + I gave the bike a good going over greasing bolts and brake pins, and all that type of standard crap... (+ all the 1000km service items like oil change and filter and such)

We also had a 22.5L Gillimoto plastic tank to go on his bike, but they're not an easy fit, once I realized there was going to be issues I just put the old tank back on, it wasn't worth stuffing around with the day before we left...

Well on it's way to being an adventure bike

FLICKIT screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 06:17 PM
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote