View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #96
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Day 10

Day 10: Calais, France to Bournemouth, UK

It was hard to except that the trip was coming to an end. Today would be our last day... The very next morning Megan would be flying home to Canada and I'd be back at work.

After breakfast, we'd set out to visit the Calais market just up the street from our hotel. We'd get back and I'd hook up our loaded top and side cases to the bike for the last time.

A 15 minute ride to the Euro Tunnel. As we're waiting in line for the go ahead to approach the train, we meet a few other riders who are returning home to the UK from their own adventures.

A very cool experience riding inside the train. The travel time was incredibly fast at 30 minutes and I was far less sea sick.

Riding through the typical roads along the coast from Hastings towards Brighton. Soon after getting off the train I exit the first roundabout as usual. An approaching oncoming car starts to frantically flash its headlights... I'm on the wrong side of the road! A very tricky thing to get used to after 3000km on the right side of the road.

Doing the honours of reaching the 50,000 mile mark on the bike. Could have fooled me, it was running like new.

A short stop to walk along the beach on our way to Brighton.

Stopping for lunch in Brighton. Greek beer in England? Sure why not, I'd had my fill of English beer over the last 2 and a half months.

Entering the New Forest on our way to Bournemouth. I very cool place where wild horses, cows, etc. freely roam the land (and streets at time).

Stopping by the cows that had casually blocked off traffic as they crossed the road - definitely not the roads to travel too fast on, you never know what could be around the next bend.

Soon after we'd arrive in Bournemouth on time at 7pm. Paul (owner of Bournemouth Motorcycle hire) was great to drop us off at the train station. We'd grab a gas station dinner (wine and ham sandwiches) for the 2+ hour train ride back to London.

We were exhausted… but in a really good kind of way. As I reached into my pocket I pulled out the torn sheet of paper from the day before...

...reminding me of the many incredible experiences along the way. This had, without a doubt, been the best ride of my life so far.

Until next time...

Day 10 riding video:
The last day of an incredible ride.

Krime screwed with this post 06-07-2014 at 12:39 PM
Krime is offline   Reply With Quote