View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Solarmoose
electric

Oddometer: 648
Chistochina

The web site states, "Located on the original site of the historic Chistochina Roadhouse." I worked at Chistochina roadhouse in my teens in the 60's for two summers. I knew the original lodge burned down many years ago, sounds like Red Eagle is on the same site. I see planes in the ad and Chistochina had an airstrip that many guides for the Wrangles staged out of. Must be the same location. There were several buildings back then, the lodge up front with restaurant, groceries, furs, and gas pumps, a multi-room two level "hotel" type building in the back, half-a-dozen cabins, large shop, gen-shack with the old put-put Witte generator, and several sheds. I pumped gas for cars and planes, washed dishes, stocked shelves, fixed tires, filled propane bottles and whatever else needed doing. Lots of good memories and stories.
Thanks for the rec Promach I, I'll have to stop in next time we're on the Tok cutoff. (And Kevin, really nothing compares to the dorms... glad your wit is back here, sorely missed.)
Solarmoose is offline   Reply With Quote