Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin View Post
Hi Vic,
So the issues I had all told
1) EWS ring - Colombia
2) Battery Fail - Also Colombia
3) Front Shock @ approx 60k
4) Rear Shock @ 55K
5) Final Drive - Leaked and had to be fixed about once every 12K... note that was doing some hard road...eg Ruta 40, Mongolia, ROB etc
6) About 30 punctures / deflations, maybe 24 of them on the front tire during this trip
7) Fuel Pump Regulator (common fail item in Europe)
8) Clutch
9) Clutch cable connectoin - due to shock hitting it
10) Modulator - Blown when it was jump started
11) Fuel line oring fail - perished - started spraying fuel all over me

and thats about it! :-)
I suppose it seems like a lot but it was a long ride! and it covered the panam highway and the RTW

Cheers
Oisin
Hi Oisin,

Thanks so much for replying, I really appreciate it.
I have a 2007 R1200GS with a bit over 84,000 miles on clock. Hyperpro shocks installed at around 15,000 and then rebuilt around 65,000. In the first 30,000 had front leaks on OEM and then with Hyperpro. The latter due to some bad batch of rubber seals I was told, and truthfully they sent me a replacement at no cost and it's been great ever since. Rear has been holding up rock solid. Night and day difference from stock. Final drive main bearing and seals replaced at 65,000 miles, lucky I caught it just before riding to Alaska. Now I check wheel play every time I check tire pressure and has been OK since. That's it.

But now am considering if when I take it round the world I should replace many of the parts you mention, and carry spares for the small stuff. As well as check all bearings and replace. And the shaft. And clutch. Heck, no am not buying another one, this one still has juice left in it I keep saying to myslef

Thanks for sharing the truly inspirational videos, it has become my evening addiction watching as soon as you release them, they look awesome on big screen.

Kindest regards,
Vic