View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
First run out on the KLR yesterday. Not a long one but a good one. I am still restricted to 4000 rpm as I am in "running in" phase but enjoying the bike nonetheless. My first impression was "holy shit, this thing is gutless" but it still made me smile when I was riding it. 200 kms down and the engine is starting to loosen up a bit. It's a comfortable bike and very easy to ride. Hopefully get it de-restricted at it's 1000km service and with a bit of luck she will have a bit more grunt then. She did manage to almost keep up with Brian's mighty DR, which I must say has no limits on fun factor to ride. The grin-o-meter on that bike really does go off the scale. Anyway, a short run up to North Dandaulp Damn, a little bit of gravel on Scarp Road, then up to Dwellingup for coffee and Australia's best pie at the Blue Wren. A nice way to spend 4 hours on a sunny Saturday morning.

Big K just before she leaves the dealer, looking splendid in her Manchester United colours: (I'm not a Man Utd fan)
 photo IMG_1834_zps9121bee6.jpg

the Mighty DR and Big K at the damn. Great time of year as the colours in Autumn here are spectacular and the weather is a bit cooler so more comfortable:
 photo IMG_1840_zps5e777bfa.jpg

The view out over the scarp towards the Peel inlet and estuary:
 photo IMG_1842_zpsb38a77e7.jpg

The famous Blue Wren Cafe. Purveyors of fine coffee and the best pies in Australia. A favourite with bikers in these parts:
 photo IMG_1846_zps307129d1.jpg

Some people beat us to it:
 photo IMG_1844_zps357beeac.jpg

photo IMG_1845_zpsd76d919a.jpg

Luckily Brian and I are pie connoisseurs. Beef and Mushroom for Brian, plain Beef for me as I am a traditionalist:
 photo IMG_1843_zps85cb0736.jpg

A quick stop at the Alcoa Lookout Point on the way home. I nearly dropped Big K here. Front wheel slipped in the soft gravel and the bike started to slide away from me. A tiny bit of poo almost came out but one foot down and she was back up and a heartbreaking moment averted. This made me realise just how much lighter the KLR is than the Wee. Had I been on the Wee she would have been down for sure! I so need crash bars, sooner rather than later. There's a lot of breakable plastic on the KLR:
 photo IMG_1847_zps86b056f2.jpg

A great day and looking forward to many more like it. I expected the KLR to be a breeze on gravel compared to Wee but she still gave me a knot in the pit of my stomach. Haven't done much gravel lately and it showed. Now, where do I get those crash bars?