OK, time for an update and I've got quite a bit of good news
Sorry for the delay - I came down with food poisoning a couple of nights ago
and I have not had the time or energy to post anything
I'm doing quite a bit better now, so I'll get on with the show
I had the plastics off the handlebars for a couple of reasons. The first was that the brake light was staying on all the time when the key was on and the second reason was that I figured it would be a good idea to flush the brake fluid on the front brake.
It turned out that the brake light situation was caused by a minor issue with the electrical switch on the left (rear) brake handle that activates the brake light. The switch looks like this
and it's press fit into the lever perch. The brake light is turned on when the plunger is allowed to extend from the end. The problem was that there was not enough friction holding the switch in place and it was allowing that plunger to be out all the time. I wrapped the switch in a bit of masking tape and it's staying put and working correctly now. The Last thing in the front end that needed to be addressed was a marker light on the front above the right headlight that had fallen back. I got that reinstalled with no problem
Flushing the brake fluid went about the way it always has for me in the past - I ended up spilling a bunch all over the ground, but I got the job done! The old stuff came out rather cloudy so I'm glad I took the time to do this and get some piece of mind.
Once I got all that done, I fired up the engine and confirmed that all the lights on the bike work correctly. So far, so good!
Until the next day...
The next day, I decided to check a few things on my scooter and found that I had no power at all. I could turn the key and there wasn't even enough juice to turn on a turn signal. And this was with everything working the night before. I tried connecting jumper cables from my car to the bike, but still nothing. I had to head back to work wondering what had gone wrong. I came home and checked the fuses on the battery leads and found that even though the clips had been correctly attached and the plastic cases clipped over the fuse assembly, somehow something had tugged on one of the leads and pulled it off one of the glass fuses. I've decided to wait until everything else is done, but I will change those fuses out for blade type holders and fuses before too long.
I'd been feeling a bit ill after lunch that day and it took quite a bit of willpower to actually check on the scooter to see why it hadn't had any electric power. Once I'd done that it was pretty much
for the rest of the night. The next day was pretty much nothing but recovery from the night before with no progress made.
That brings us to Saturday which was technically yesterday. I was going to swap out the vacuum lines, but then I looked at them closely and found that they're pretty new and U.S. made. Then I was going to replace the fuel lines, but I found pretty much the same thing. They were all really decent. Now, the fuel filter was a different matter (it was disgusting), so it got swapped out. I also filled the tank up to the top and was happy to see that the fuel gauge actually works!
It was getting late by now as I'd taken my daughter and girlfriend out to lunch, but there was one last thing I wanted to get done sooner rather than later. I wanted to get those valve stems replaced. I went out and got a couple of valve stems and a C clamp after watching this video
(thanks again, tortoise2) and got to work. The guy on YouTube video made it look much easier than I thought it was, but that's just my take on it. Anywho, the tire was off the bead so I rolled the scooter around a bit to get it seated and that worked. I was able to air the tires up again with a $10 12 volt compressor from Walmart. Having set the tires to 29 PSI front and 32 PSI rear, there was only one thing I could think of to do...
Yep, I took my scooter for its first test ride
No, I didn't try for top speed, steepest lean angle, or anything else like that. I just had to take it out and make sure it works at a basic level and I'm glad to say that it does - All the lights work, the front and rear brakes work, and the whole drive system works
All that's left now is to change the engine and final drive oil, check and adjust the valves, add the replacement mirrors, re-install some body work, and possibly tweak the carburetor a bit. Then it's just a simple matter of an inspection and registration before I get to take this scooter all over the place
Thanks go out again to everyone who's followed along and given advice and insight! I'll be sure to keep posting as more progress is made