View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #626
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,433
Tuareg Rallye 2013 - #87 Tony Schattat (Team Macad) - final summary report

“A spanner in the works...”

Between juggling a full-time education and his own electronic navigation equipment business (Rally Navigation Solutions), after almost three years away from rallying, 21 year-old Tony Schattat was very much looking forward to getting back to the desert and racing just for fun.

Having teamed up with his regular riding buddy Australian Edward Taylor (who entered on a 300cc 2-stroke KTM), together with accomplished Swiss rider Guillaume Martens (2nd place finisher in this year’s Africa Race from Paris to Dakar) and first-time rally rider (and one of the few female Moto competitors on the rallye), Polytimi Kyriakopoulou from Greece - the Macad team was a truly ‘International’ conglomeration, and looked particularly sharp in their green-liveried racing apparel.

As an experienced and knowledgeable mechanic, Tony had also elected to undertake all the pre-event bike preparation and ongoing event maintenance himself. Unfortunately his personal campaign was beset by a series of mechanical disasters from the start.

After a tricky first day in the soft sand, he felt the bike was not running as it should be, and after diagnosing a faulty fuel pipe, followed by a lack of [engine] compression, the first half of his rally was punctuated by a series of stage withdrawals and an increasing familiarity with the inside of both his own engine and the rally organisation’s sweeper truck; followed by long nights working into the small hours, in an effort to make the start the next morning.

Having reached the half-way point of the rally with barely 12 hours sleep in total, Tony was confident he had resolved the problem with his engine, and was looking forward to finally riding a complete stage.

This was his first time riding in Africa, and much of the appeal was the more varied selection of stages compared to his previous experience in the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge in 2010 (which featured 100% sand). “What little I have been able to ride, I’ve enjoyed very much” he smiles “There have been dunes, fesh-fesh, piste tracks, technical rocky sections - everything!”

Despite starting day 5 with promise, unfortunately, once again the repair proved only temporary, and approximately halfway though the stage with the engine failing, he took the difficult decision to withdraw from the race, and instead concentrate on supporting his fellow team-mates for the remainder of the rally.

“Obviously it is more than a little disappointing with the number of mechanical problems I had” he concludes “On the whole I was able to fix them and restart the following day, but ultimately with the limited resources [and spare parts] that I had around the bivouac, it got to a point where I simply could not continue without destroying the engine.”

For the moment Tony will concentrate on his university studies and continue developing his navigation electronics business, but he certainly intends to return to the Tuareg Rallye next year on a new bike.

ends.

results #87 Tony Schattat (GER) - class: Moto Profi

Day 1: 60th
Day 2: 83th
Day 3: timing suspended
Day 4: 72nd
Day 5: 77th (retired)
Day 6: 76th (DNS)
Day 7: 70th (DNS)

84th Overall (MP)

Photo:

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 10:39 AM