View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #3998
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Wink Grease yer linkage NOW!!

Just had a crack at greasing up my linkage- found it pretty easy though I removed the dog legs first which differs slightly to what was mentioned in another post. Lucky I did this now as the upper dog leg bolt was corroded and the inner sleeve of this bolt had rust/corrosion as well. Another couple of wet winter months (we are in autumn now) and this bolt/sleeve would have been severely rusted. All other bolts were bone dry and probably one winter away from becoming rusty. No grease anywhere inside the needles, just a very light coating of weird light tan color non greasy crap. Wiped errything dry, polished off as much corrosion as I could and packed heaps of Mobil marine grade grease on all areas. I will get my dealership to replace the corroded bolt under warranty as I have done under 2000kms with only a couple of creek crossings. I will also get the dealership to grease the swingarm and steering bearings as warranty repair. Well at least I will try, if they refuse then they will lose out on all further sales which is not a small number.....moral of this story? Grease your linkages, swingarm and steering bearings NOW. Or sell the bike after a year.....!
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote