View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 AM   #94
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
On just about every ride I ended up exploring some dirt roads
You don't need an adventure bike for dirt roads. All-rounders (that is, anything but a big-mutha tourer or a hyper-sprotsbike) are fine on dirt roads. At the time I had both the Trophy and the Tiger, I did more dirt on the Trophy, usually two-up with camping gear, than I did on the Tiger. That was purely because when we were touring I never let a dirt road put me off going to interesting places. It was fine, easily do the speed limit on a good dirt road. A naked would be better than a fully-faired in that regard, if only for the extra ground clearance. The belly-pan of the Trophy copped a few whacks on rock ledges and kerbs etc.

Yes, narrow 21" fronts are better, but they are not mandatory.

Quote:
another KLR

There are a few relatively low cost mods I can do to the klr to improve the power and braking of my existing bike so I might do those and see how it goes
At the risk of sounding boring, you can port those to a newer KLR for next to no cost when the time comes, too.

Quote:
can you mix radials and cross-plys on a motorbike?
Is the anakee or something similar going to offer an advantage on a low powered bike like the klr? The thing I most hate on the road is losing the front so I'm happy to spend the extra if there if a benefit.
You are not supposed to, but adventurers mix'n'match their tyres so much I don't think anyone would particularly notice.

Road riders often put a stickier tyre on the front (and indeed, within the same model, tyre manufacturers now do this) which means the back is going to let go first, causing a high-side. It also tends to dismiss the idea that you need rear traction to balance the bike and get you through any given turn.

Adventure riders often put a stickier tyre (for tarmac, that is, closer-pattern tread) on the rear which means the bike front-end steers better in the dirt and gets better mileage from the rear. This means on-road the front is going to let go first, causing a low-side. This also tends to dismiss the effects of rear-wheel steering, which I have learnt is very worthwhile off-tarmac.

Which would you rather have: high-side or low-side, hmmm?
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote