View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 05:23 AM   #67
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Oddometer: 96
Tassie Devils!!!

Hydro was intrigued by these little critters that are only native to Tasmania. I had watched them in TV programs and documentaries about their unfortunate plight against a nasty strain of cancer. It manifests itself with face sores and spreads easily from devil to devil due to their particular vicious feeding habits. I was smitten by these carnivorous marsupials, I couldn't really see them doing well as a family pet though. Their screeching and ferocity gave me full understanding on what the crazy cartoon character "Taz" was based on!

The geographical location of the Tasmanian Devil Park we visited on the Tasman/Forrestier Peninsulas lends itself to being isolated from other infected populations elsewhere. The research these people are doing to save the Devils is absolutely commendable. I noticed in the parks shop that what money they don't spend on the running the park and research from the donations for entry, they also give to the Children's Cancer Foundation!

The mating pair. It all looks cute, furry and very cuddly... Oh no... Watch what happens below when you add food!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I showed this video clip to my cousin Brad, he just laugh at my amazement of their aggressiveness and stated that "It's just like dinner time at my place with all the kids!" Click to watch.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Finally after they got a piece of wallaby each they settled down to scoff as quick as possible. Click to watch.

These deceiving with their looks scavengers would have me shitting myself if I came off my bike and unable to move from injury. You wouldn't last long I'd imagine...

Hoonatic Ty screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 03:55 PM
Hoonatic Ty is offline   Reply With Quote