View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #68
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Oddometer: 96
Hobart, Mount Wellington.

After riding out from the Tasman/Forestier Peninsulars we headed for Tasmanias capital city of Hobart. We soon found ourselves in the congestion of city traffic and feeling like fish out of water. We were going to check out "Joes Garage", a bar dedicated to cars and bikes that we had read about. But out of all days of the week we chose to ride into town, it was the very one that had it closed for the day!

Plan B, whats the name of that bloody big hill....? Is that a cars windshield reflection on some road heading up there...? Lets go!!!

On consulting the GPS we took off for our next challenge, little did we know of the sensational panoramic rewards we would encounter and the great ride up (and down) in the process.

As with many other roads in Tassie that are somehow cut into the face of a extremely steep hill or mountain I found myself wanting to look out at the vista but the fear and ever present and real probability of leaving the road or track to certain death had me shitting myself. In the efforts to get decent footage, but also maintain my alive status I will admit to being jealous of Hydro at times. He was always roaring past without any care in the world, starring in partly scripted riding scenes riding the terrain like it's his personal motocross track. It seems "Some people have all the fun"

None the less I enjoy capturing the moments and it has me giggling, remembering the enjoyment felt whilst riding along with my mad riding padre. I wouldn't swap it for anything.

Riding up Mount Wellington. Click to watch.
Up Mount Wellington

On pulling up on the bikes it was clearly evident we had scored a rare magical day, 32 degrees, the harbour a glass off and visibility for miles. I over heard an old couple walking by explaining to their visitor friends that every time they'd been up here they had experienced rain, hail, sleet, ice, snow and every other ordinary weather condition. Blessed!

What a view, what a day!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Hobart below

Panorama perfect
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Riding down Mount Wellington. Click to watch.
Down Mount Wellington

We rode on from Mount Wellington out the back way towards Huonville. These twisting and turning road through amazing forest and fern covered country is awesome.
Hoonatic Ty is offline   Reply With Quote