View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #95
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Dunno about on a KLR, but on the TT and DR I don't get any front end push or washing out with the 705 front.

Did with the Shinko 244 front...
Thanks Nordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
trade me search only thing is a tiger....expand the years abit and it becomes a bit more interesting ktm 990,few more tigers..
oooh theres a 955 tiger in Wellywood - I might see if I can have a look tonight seeing as I'm in town today. There is also a tidy tiger in Taupo I might have a look at. And there are also some transalps at the honda dealer in Pamly so thats nice and close too.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
You don't need an adventure bike for dirt roads. All-rounders (that is, anything but a big-mutha tourer or a hyper-sprotsbike) are fine on dirt roads. At the time I had both the Trophy and the Tiger, I did more dirt on the Trophy, usually two-up with camping gear, than I did on the Tiger. That was purely because when we were touring I never let a dirt road put me off going to interesting places. It was fine, easily do the speed limit on a good dirt road. A naked would be better than a fully-faired in that regard, if only for the extra ground clearance. The belly-pan of the Trophy copped a few whacks on rock ledges and kerbs etc.

Yes, narrow 21" fronts are better, but they are not mandatory.

At the risk of sounding boring, you can port those to a newer KLR for next to no cost when the time comes, too.

You are not supposed to, but adventurers mix'n'match their tyres so much I don't think anyone would particularly notice.

Road riders often put a stickier tyre on the front (and indeed, within the same model, tyre manufacturers now do this) which means the back is going to let go first, causing a high-side. It also tends to dismiss the idea that you need rear traction to balance the bike and get you through any given turn.

Adventure riders often put a stickier tyre (for tarmac, that is, closer-pattern tread) on the rear which means the bike front-end steers better in the dirt and gets better mileage from the rear. This means on-road the front is going to let go first, causing a low-side. This also tends to dismiss the effects of rear-wheel steering, which I have learnt is very worthwhile off-tarmac.

Which would you rather have: high-side or low-side, hmmm?
While I'm sure a big stable road bike is fine on smooth dirt, in hindsight (and contrary to my earlier waffle), I really want to retain the capability of going through places like the 42nd traverse or big river.

It seems that what is optimal for dirt (knobby front and milder rear) is the opposite of what you want on the seal.

I actually haven't found the cornering limits of the mt21 on the seal but heavy braking really destroys the knobs - the current tire has actually started ripping chunks off the back off the knobs. I should have done what Nordie suggested and rotated it half way through its life.

Actually what I really fancy right now is a strop over Takaka hill and a cruise up to cobb dam and then around to anatori. Might come down after easter if I can swing it - would any of you Nelson sods be interested?.