View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #28
SOMA Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
SOMA Man, those photos are great! Thanks so much for posting them. Isn't the iPhone camera incredible?

Did you have to take the panel off to take the photos or was it already/still off? I hope you didn't have to go through a lot of trouble, but really it was very helpful.

I've ordered that BMW bracket, but now will have to find another solution to my Stebel horn. I don't want to give up the horn OR the bracket. SIGH

I suspect I'm going to have to do some major surgery on the Stebel horn and I don't look forward to that task. I've done it before on another bike I had and it wasn't fun. I'll see if the second time around will be any easier. What I'm thinking of doing is separating the compressor from the horn/trumpet part and then placing the compressor somewhere else and the trumpet where the original horn was (if it fits). I would connect the two with a length of silicone tubing. On one bike I had, the compressor was way at the back under the cover by the brake light and the horn/trumpet was under the front fender. Quite a length of tubing involved but there was no noticeable delay when blowing the horn.

If you're interested in seeing what my current horn installation looks like, here's the thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870824

Thanks again!
Mtl_Biker,

I'm glad I could help out. Yeah, the iPhone camera is awesome. I am somewhat amazed that not a single manufacturer (Touratech, BDCW, Altrider, etc.) has developed a proper mounting system for aftermarket lights specifically for the 2013 F800GS. Fortunately, I did not have to remove the panel. I decided to install a set of Skene Photon Blasters and I still had a little work to do. They should do a decent job of helping me get noticed.

I checked out your thread about your current horn installation. It is a very informative and detailed write-up. Living in downtown San Francisco, I definitely need a more forceful horn. I'll make sure to keep tabs on your horn install. Based on how well your install goes, I will probably get a Stebel at some point in the not-too-distant future.
SOMA Man is offline   Reply With Quote