View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #31
ParrotheadJeff OP
Cultural Infidel

Oddometer: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Glad you're getting it going. I'm assuming the coil has a spark plug wire attached to it, probably behind that air duct where I couldn't see it.

The PAIR system serves no purpose, other than to satisfy the EPA, and can cause some running and starting issues. It is called the Pulsed Air Injection System, and injects air from the intake system into the exhaust, leaning out the mixture in the exhaust causing it to run hot, and usually backfiring. It is controlled by engine vacuum, and there are several places where a vacuum leak can occur. I have always removed them and plugged everything on every bike I ever had that had one, and they always ran better.
Yep - there's a lead to the spark plug & going right to where you can't see it - sorry about that. I know about the air injection - it's similar to the system on my V-Star. I'll probably yank it off the bike eventually, but I just wanted to get this thing on the road as quickly, easily, and cheaply as possible and I didn't want to make a blocking plate for the PAIR system port next to the valve cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I'm glad to see that everything is working out. I'm sure you will upgrade some time in the future but starting out with a cheap Chinese scooter is a great way to start and learn something about scooters and scooter maintenance. Thanks for documenting it all, it's been very interesting. I hope you enjoy the scooter and have some fun rides on it.
Great to see you here - thanks for stopping by! I've read through a bit of your writing & it sounds like you've been having a blast, too I figured I couldn't go wrong for $25 and I could learn a few things. So far, it's been pretty easy. I'll have a couple of updates soon! I've just been really busy with the bike, my daughter, work, life, etc. and I'm so tired I've fallen asleep at the keyboard a couple times.