View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #116
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Could you guys say a bit more about how you think the CP's work, please ?

Are they lookouts for the safety of the community, or the narco-industry (which provides lots of community "improvements").

I understand the concept of communities forming their own security systems....and also know that Copper Canyon is a significant drug supplying area. As such, it is sometimes un-nerving to have guys in civvies packing automatic assault weapons.

Recently on a ride in Michoacan, I saw a situation with a group of guys in civvies hovering around a pick-up with a guy sprawled on the front seat with his own machine gun.....I didn't know if he was dead or looking for his keys???? and kept on riding...

Thanks for more insight to your experience and understanding of this issue.
Ged,
I'm going to decline. I really don't have any concrete knowledge to answer those issues. I only know what I experienced and none of those folks ever presented an issue to this group except for the photo and we knew better. I really never felt un-nerved by anyone. Perhaps it's because I grew up in Wyoming and live in Utah. Guns is guns whether it's a derringer or an assault rifle. The folks that I interacted with treated me well. I'm not fluent in their language but they always made the effort to communicate with me and it was mostly successful and pleasant. I was offered mota several times and places and my response was always accepted.

If there are any folks who have the insight that Ged requests, I'd like you to PM him. One of my goals is to de-escalate and downplay this situation. We had a great time and a great ride through great country and that's what I'd really like to focus on. I took the b'fast conversation as a safety net that was meant to keep us out of trouble, nothing more. I included it because it was part of what happened and I'd like the report to be accurate.

Cheers mates.......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote