Thread: Norra 2013
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #752
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by az45 View Post
You've been once and your not going this year?
It was lots of fun, but I enjoy a different aspect of racing more these days.

Quote:
Why are you lobbying for it if you know its going to create a problem?
To some, dirt, rocks, sand, and bumps are problems in racing, for others they are the challenge that is the essence of the the race. The same goes for a secret unmarked course, roadbook, and multiple stages. They are only problems if you chose to look at them that way.

I quit "lobbying" NORRA over a year ago when I started my Diabolical Rally project. Now I help NORRA understand the ins and outs off this type of rally format, help them implement the aspects they choose to take on, and try to educate everyone on how it can work and how best to prepare for it. It would actually help me if they dumped the whole roadbook thing. But as long as they are going to do it, I'd like to see them get it right. And I'd like to help you guys see the positive aspects.

Quote:
Will no GPS make it more fun?
It can, if you choose to see navigation as one more challenge in the race that you will overcome. Does dust, the smell of gasoline, early morning wakeups, bumpy roads, and all the "crap" that comes at you in a typical Baja race make it fun? For an outsider that stuff sounds worse than hell, but for a desert racer it's why you do it.

Quote:
If you're a hard core rally guy, just leave your GPS at home. If your a vintage guy, ride a vintage bike with a roll chart. If you're both, use both.
For 95% of the race, that's the way it is. Is 5% too much to try out?

Quote:
The car guys will have the biggest issue with this, so they should make it for the bikes only.
Apparently there have been enough car guys looking forward to the navigation challenge to convince Mike to throw in that 5%. And I suspect there are a few bike guys who won't like it, at least until they try it. So I still don't see this being a bike specific thing.

Quote:
Ken and the staff have enough to do with out adding in one more timing/scoring dynamic.
The timing and scoring are exactly the same as far as I know.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote