View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #564
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
I have never watched a complete NASCAR race and I haven't watched an entire IndyCar race since . . . the late-90's? Maybe I've watched a couple 500's since then. My reasons are varied and not relevant to a F1 discussion. I don't "hate" on those series for a simple reason: I don't care about them. Never have, in the NASCAR case, and haven't in a long time in the case of IndyCar.

My beef with F1 is that it is more business than sport. By a wide margin. The amount of money sloshing around in the series enables the sort of carbon-fiber weave pattern fetishism some like to indulge in, but it also requires team principals to think about making the monthly nut on a 3,000-person payroll and the courting of the kind of people who think Rosberg's competitive instincts pose too great a risk to Daimler AG's investment. The Board didn't spend all that money to go racing, dear boy.

All of those hundreds of millions spent chasing a tenth, just to cruise in formation for half (at least) of the "race." It's absurd. I can't pretend otherwise.

But to those who confuse Vettel's actions for those of a true racer, wronged by the system: Bullshit. He's just a twat.
I like the last bit. That's the spirit!

Not half the race. Arguably, around lap 39 or 40 (out of 65) when Vettel takes 2nd from Hamilton. Less arguably, lap 44 when Webber emerges with the lead on the last set of pit stops. That's probably when Vettel decided he'd ignore team orders. He took a bite from the apple on lap 44.

Massa made two excellent passes to go from 7th to 5th, his last move coming around lap 52 or 53, I think.

I know you prefer bikes. Are there no bike races where the guy's just holding onto his position with no hope of catching anyone in front of him? Seems to me I've seen a few (admittedly, I only watch in the most casual way.)

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote