View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #26
Oblio OP
Stop Saying "Farkle"

Oddometer: 20
Back in Denver!

I made it home this afternoon! I will finish my trip report and add lots more photos.

Regarding our 4th date: that is exactly what Erika said when we were getting on the bike at the airport!

Regarding safety: Baja is as safe as a big bike trip in the less populated parts of the states - maybe safer. The dangers are the same as the states - the usual motorcycle risks, having mechanical issues far from home, wildlife/nature, petty crime, stupidity. Unfortunately, a lot of the hype is true in parts of Mexico. The only parts in Baja this hype pertains to is the border. That being said, the border areas I saw in Mexicali and Tecate were nice, friendly, and inviting.

The biggest danger I was aware of on my travels was Highway 1. It has new pavement in many areas, but it can change to crap with little warning. The lanes are narrower than an average two-lane highway in the States and there is only a single yellow line dividing the lanes. There are often no guardrails or shoulders, and the road usually drops off into gnarly terrain on the sides. Going off the road because you're looking at the scenery could be fatal. Finally, some people drive like lunatics. Big trucks usually have skilled drivers, but even they like to swing wide before right-hand turns. I noticed a lot of men in SUVs did this too. I had a few "Oh Shit" moments because of this.

But the bottom line is if you're thinking about a moto trip to Baja, absolutely go!

Oblio screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 01:26 AM
Oblio is offline   Reply With Quote