View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #107
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Mike,

We have had this discussion before. I think a lot has to do with when and where. Nearly any hour of the day on 95 to and from Stafford and all the way to DC on 395 you would find a completely different story. I lived in Woodbridge for 9 years, and can't count the number of times drivers either though poor driving, or through agressive jerkiness, have nearly run me off the road. More than once they threatened me just for passing them, not even lane splitting. I can easily immagine their reaction if I split lanes during rush hour when traffic was at a near stand still.

Just think what it is like on a bicycle, and multiply that by 10 for a MC splitting on the freeway. I could filter in-town traffic some, but still there are issues.

I won't even get into the police issues!

Jim
IME they don't know you're there till you're past em. No way for *most* of the people to screw with you.

If you're in stop and go traffic, its really tough for anyone to do anything abruptly. Just not enough room.

Even sharing lanes in CA the cars don't see you. Its up to you to ride assertively enough to be defensive. IOW there's spots that are safer to ride than others: riding next to a car with an open lane to your side(s)? Bad They'll dive into that space in a heartbeat if they think it'll get em ahead.
Riding between 2 cars side-by-side? Better.
Riding between the lanes in a gap with 4 cars around you? OK

Like anything else, it gets easier with practice.

M