Thread: Norra 2013
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #768
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
I can truly appreciate that. And it would be great if everyone actually looked at it that way. When I race it, thatís how I looked at it. But guys to my left and right were WAY more serious and got all worked up about all kinds of issues. And that split in attitudes continues today. "Toned Down" and "Race" are hard things to combine.

Too many get their serious race faces on and attack this race as a "win at all cost" deal. A Baja newcomer decides not to race a second time because he sees that the regulars take advantage of their local knowledge by taking shortcuts. A guy that solos the whole thing on a vintage bike comes away with nothing at the finish, while another who trailered his vehicle through much of the race walks away with a trophy. A retired guy says screw the rules and preruns the course because he can get away with it, while others follow the rules and loose because of it. A tech savvy guy takes the early released GPS tracks and uses Google Earth to plan off-course creative lines to gain an advantage, while others want the race determined in the dirt, not on the computer. Some of this is fine at other events, but for whatever reason NORRA has rules against some of it, but no means to enforce those rules.

In my mind they should enforce each rule they have, or get rid of it. If they want to level the playing field a bit to attract more competitors, then do it. Otherwise get rid of the rules that restrict the creative planners. If they want that laid-back attitude throughout the race, then they need to do something to mellow out the more serious people.

At the moment they are leaning towards stronger enforcement of their current rules, at least relative to the course. That's why there is a "secret" section. And it's hard to keep it secret if the GPS tracks are provided ahead of time, which is partly why the roadbook comes into play.

So TRUE and VERY WELL SAID