Well, I finally managed get the bathroom finished (almost) and that meant I got an evening to play with the XL engine.
This is where I'd got to...
So, next it was on with the piston, rings and barrel, but not before I had removed the crank pinion to fit the new camchain which wouldn't fit in between that and the oil pump
...then, on with the camchain guides, head, tensioner and cam
When I took the engine apart the cam sprocket bolts didn't match each other. One is the OEM M7(!) bolt while the other looks like it's of a bicycle brake system (just a guess) - chromed, domed allen screw.
I guess this might not be a problem, but for the sake of a few pence, I'll get a couple of M7 bolts from the local engineering supplies shop.
More to follow!