View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
camitzi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Mount of Olives orphanage

You know there is still hope in this world when you see people who do well financially, giving up on all they have in order to help others. And some of these people are Darrel and Maureen Graham, from Southern California (originally from Lower Mainland, Canada), who started going to Mexico just to help people over there in 2001, and then in 2005 built an orphanage in Urapan, Baja. In 2010 they moved there so they can give hundred percent of their time and dedication to those kids.

The things they've done here are beyond imagination. They've built a whole orphanage from scratch, with all the amenities (as much as the geography allowed).

They now have 21 kids here – little balls of energy, smiles, and need for affection. Here's Darrel, helping the girls to build a castle.

It looks like they liked our bikes, even though they were a bit bigger than theirs.

I was impressed how well educated the kids were, how they were cleaning their own clothes and shoes at that age, how polite and caring to each other they were. This proves someone really spends time with these kids, and prepares them for life.

And now they are trying to expand. So while Robin and I were playing with the kids, Vasile and Matt did some real work:)

Talking to Darrel and Maureen, it’s amazing to see how their hearts are filled with so much happiness and contentment just to see the progress of their “grand children” as they call them. They dedicate their whole time to making sure the kids have everything they need, and most importantly that they feel loved. And we can see the results in the kids’ faces: smiley happy faces. The stories behind these kids are very touching: most of them come from broken families or parents on drugs. Here they find the family they are missing. And everything is based on volunteer work and donations.

And not only they help the orphanage, but they help the whole community, by providing food, or scholarship opportunities to those in need.

While we are complaining about the internet not being fast enough or about not being able to cut on sweets, others need food on the table. And I can only imagine what it is in the heart of a mom who cannot provide for her kids!

Feel free to visit their website below for more details, and if you can help in any way, I am sure they will be more than grateful.

www.missions-network.org

camitzi is offline   Reply With Quote