View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #27
camitzi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
San Ignacio and Belize overall

We came back from Caye Caulker Island, and went to pick up the bikes at the Harley Davidson dealership. The bikes were still there, just as we left them. The deal was that we would buy two T-shirts in exchange for the storage. So when we looked for T-shirts, they were all well over $50 CAD each!* But we had a deal, and they kept their promise, so we had to keep ours. It just turned out to be a pretty expensive storage for our bikes for 3 days. But it was well worth it, the Belizean Islands are beautiful!

IMG_2522

We drove toward the border with Guatemala, and we stopped for the night in San Ignacio, about 10 min from the border.

IMG_2527

We found a decent hotel right in the center, Mallorca, where two very friendly ladies (the owner and the receptionist/manager/etc) took care of us.

We went to see a local archeological site, Cahal Pech, at walking distance from our hotel. Just that it was steep uphill walking. *But it was worth it, we found it quite impressive.

IMG_2504 IMG_2509

We went to eat and we tried some local food, very tasty, and a lot cheaper. We noticed that it is a trend for women to wear one handís nails very, very long. I have never seen such long nails in my life! (they were fake I guess).

The next day we woke up early, had some good breakfast and headed toward the Guatemala border. The border crossing was pretty straight forward: cancel temporary import permit for the bikes in Belize, exit stamp in the passport, and fumigate the bikes when entering Guatemala, stamp the passport, and get temporary import permit for the bikes (160 gqt each). No mandatory insurance for the vehicles here. We kind of got into the routine of it by now, and at this border everything went pretty smoothly.

Overall thoughts about Belize:

First off, we were very relieved that they were speaking English (mostly Vasile). It felt like a totally different world in the middle of Central America just for that.

We found the people very friendly and laid back, including cops. All they wanted when they stopped us at the check points was to chat with us. (kind of like "wassup dude, where are you going?")

The roads were quite poor, not signaled at all. It was hard to know where it was one way road (people on the side of the road would make signs to us which way we should go), who has the right of way etc. They actually only have three paved highways in the whole country, even those ones, I would not really call them highways. No dividing lines on them, no shoulders and quite narrow. But considering it was a small country, it was not too big of an inconvenient to us.

As landscape, inland Belize itís probably not the best destination for a vacation, but the Islands are a tropical paradise!!!
camitzi is offline   Reply With Quote