View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #3348
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Overall the SPOT II seems nicer with its few extra features, smaller size, updated GPS Sirf III chip set, but I could just never get by the fact it went from 2 AA batteries to 3 AAA batteries and their life is drastically reduced. I love the super long battery life in the Spot 1 and how little I have to actually replace the batteries. It seems quality on the Spot II is not quite as good and a lot more people have had issues with them eventually failing. For me, the SPOT 1 still works, the larger size doesn't bother me, and I don't have an issue with the Tracking/OK limitations since I understand how they work.
Last Saturday, I rode for 3 hrs in the hills and got zero track points out.
I didn't wait long enough for it to get a gps fix before leaving.

Sunday, I turned it on 20min before leaving and got a track point from home and 3 more in the hills in 3 1/2 hrs of riding.

Riding with thick tree cover and in steep gullys.

I want to be able to hit the OK button whilst tracking without having to turn tracking off, send OK, wait 20min until cycle completes, turn tracking back on...

Going to be interesting to see how the 2 performs in the same terrain.

It would be great if the 2 got the same battery life as the 1 although I feel the battery life in the 2 is great anyway, it's just that it's almost unbelievable in the 1.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote