View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #28
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,232
Reroute

We spent so much time in Belmont we had to cancel plans to ride to Austin and Diana's Punch Bowl.

We rode back to Manhattan and then headed to Hyder for gas and a quick lunch at The Landing. Hyder is a town owned by the local Open Pit Gold Mine. We also got some local advice that we would not be able to ride over Ophir Pass, it goes over 10,000 ft in elevation, because there was a snow drift at the top that isn't passable yet and there will probably be downed trees that have not yet been cleared. Any intel on this trail over the next month will be appreciated.

From Hyder we headed south/west to Peavine Canyon, trail 20, to trail 451. This was a fun two track dirt road.

This was Rich's first long ride on his 450EXC. Rich: I like how nimble the 450 is". Jim, "My 525 has lots of torque".

On this trip the 450EXC and 525EXC got 52-57 MPG. My 500EXC, with the new MAP, got 50-55 MPG. The DR650 got the same MPG as the 450 and 525. Everyone was pleased with how their bikes worked and those three riders traded off bikes throughout day two to see how each bike performed.