View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #73
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
100 mile Days on the Zero

Twice this last week I have ridden more than 100 miles in a single day on the Zero to complete tasks for work. This is accomplished by keeping it charged in when it is not rolling. I am getting comfortable with the range now and find that the Zero DS is a great mount for urban riding. It really helps that I can plug in the bike while I am at the office.

With a more upright seating position and high seat the DS offers a nice view of traffic. The mirrors could be better but I am adjusting to them.

Since the bike is silent I hear things that I never heard before on an ICE motorcycle. With smooth power and clutch less, shift less, linear power delivery it seems easier to focus more on traffic and hazards around the bike.

I am also used to sitting at red lights now with nothing happening and all of the ICE machines around me are starting to seem really dumb in contrast. What is all of this idling about?

The only problem that I am having is lack of luggage. The Wolfman tank bag strapped to the tail is handy but just lacks capacity. I have been trying to get Zero to sell me a set of the Police bike panniers and racks but it seems that they only want to sell the soft luggage for some reason?

The panniers that they put on the police version of the DS are Givi E21s. Hopefully Givi will soon sell a mounting solution for those to go on the DS.

I have over 800 miles on the Zero now and the weather is good in the forecast so I will post the 1K PM next week. I think it will be a really fast PM compared to previous bikes. No valve checks, no oils or filters to replace, no clutch to adjust, etc. The drive belt is starting to loosen up a bit so I will probably need to tighten that up. That is typical of other belt final drives that I have ridden. On the Zero, final belt drive tension is adjusted by moving the motor forward, as the rear axle is fixed in the swing arm.
Wind_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote