View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #26
DisTech OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Case, piston & jug

Clean an reassemble!

Align the dots!

Manual says position shifting cam like this so the forks will fit easily into place. It works!

This was pleasing (can't do this with DR350 guts on thier side) and looked cool.

Case sealed!

Was cruising right along, then "What the...!!!" (see arrow). Did I leave out a dowel! Frantic looking at pictures I'd taken, manual searching, Googling exploded views, nothing...

Decided to push on and when I dropped the starter torque limiter in place it was super sloppy. Well, well... not a dowel, it's a sleeve.

A big thanks to planemanx15 for having the guts to post the highs, lows and highs of his DR790 build (DR650 790 Big Bore Installation and Review) .

A couple things that have come from the lows:

Notes:
  • Top ring is gray and has a dot indicating the top.
  • Second ring is black and has a dot (more like a circle) indicating the top.
  • The stock piston has a dot on it that indicates the front. The CP piston does not and their install instructions only talk about ring gap and cylinder honing. Eyeballing the piston makes me think it is symmetrical and can go either way and I would expect the instructions to say something if it mattered. However, I found one forum post that said the pockets were different and the CP on the bottom of the piston goes to the exhaust side. There is a CP marked on the bottom so I oriented the piston with the CP to the front.
  • The oil ring and its side rails were by far the hardest to get in the jug (without ring compressor).
  • Ring gaps positioned according to the manual.
  • The CP piston pin circlips are at least three times as beefy as the stock ones! A challenge to install.
  • Double metal base gasket!.

Got the jug on and that's where she sits tonight.

DisTech screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 07:33 AM Reason: None yo
DisTech is offline   Reply With Quote