View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #224
Echo3Niner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
There's surely a promotion problem, and there's surely been an economic problem: but the main problem is unfortunately probably more serious. In the overall scheme of things, motorcycling is a pretty small niche sport- and roadracing is a small niche within that.

I'm starting to feel that roadracing is just not engaging enough for many fans (for lack of a better word) these day- the mid age-range folks are losing interest and the young ones aren't getting any. As brutal and difficult as the racing is, without an appreciation of what the riders are actually doing it looks unexciting compared to, say, supercross. And that's in person. It's even worse from a TV perspective-- as roadracing doesn't work well with the "switch the camera/image every 2-4 seconds" viewing that today's seemingly ADD-afflicted young fans need.

I've been watching/enjoying this stuff since the late 60's. Been peaks and valleys for sure- but it "feels" more serious now.
I understand your logic, but it doesn't seem to be affecting MotoGP or WSBK the way it is for AMA/DMG SBK. Having said that, another kind of racing that is HUGE in Europe and other parts of the world is F1, and that struggles here as well; so if you limit your logic to the USA television/sports viewers, you're probably pretty close...

Road racing in general struggles in the USA; SCCA, Trans-Am, etc. have all not gotten the coverage that they deserve; it will be interesting when the V8 Supercar (Australian series) comes to COTA; I will be interested to see how many American fans show up to that event...
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”

Echo3Niner screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 01:02 AM
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote