View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #2029
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
I think it is interesting to see how many 'local' riders there are in South America these days, according to ASO, over a third of the entries submitted for Moto and Quad in Dakar 2013 were from South American riders...

I'm sure the FIM realise there is a significant number of riders with money there, hence the reinstatement of the Des Sertos as a World Championship round, plus the addition of Argentina - all helping to raise the profile of those competitors prior to Dakar?

I agree it is unlikely we'll see that many Europeans at those events, other than the factory teams contesting the whole championship of course (Marc Coma is going to have a lot of air-miles this year!), but I'm not sure that matters so much to the FIM with such an enthusiastic and seemingly wealthy local field of riders?

Jx
Bingo

What used to be a sport dominated by Europeans is slowly changing....it's not a stretch to think there will be many more FIM sactioned events in SA in the coming years. Terrain and money....SA seems to have both along with a population that is enthusiastic about rally. The media circus of the Dakar certainly doesn't hurt either, nor does deserts that aren't politically "unstable"

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote