View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 08:20 PM   #2030
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,649
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
I think it is interesting to see how many 'local' riders there are in South America these days, according to ASO, over a third of the entries submitted for Moto and Quad in Dakar 2013 were from South American riders...

I'm sure the FIM realise there is a significant number of riders with money there, hence the reinstatement of the Des Sertos as a World Championship round, plus the addition of Argentina - all helping to raise the profile of those competitors prior to Dakar?

I agree it is unlikely we'll see that many Europeans at those events, other than the factory teams contesting the whole championship of course (Marc Coma is going to have a lot of air-miles this year!), but I'm not sure that matters so much to the FIM with such an enthusiastic and seemingly wealthy local field of riders?

Jx
Not even sure about the factory teams, if we listen to the rumours, KTM and HRC are developing 2014 bikes so what are their targets, do the others have the budgets?

I think both you and Ted have it right, a big shift to SA and unlike elsewhere it seems to attract money and a big fan base, which go hand in hand of course.

too old screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 08:47 PM
too old is offline   Reply With Quote