View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #76
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
1,000 Mile PM Completed

The weather was so perfect here on Easter today that it was pleasant to be out wrenching on things.

Between a few other tasks I decided to just start on the 1,000 Mile PM for the Zero DS. I pulled up the manual and looked at the really small list of things to do.... No valves to check, no fluids or filters to replace, no clutch or cables...

I adjusted the belt tension using a belt tension tool. After almost 1K miles of rain, snow, mud, etc it was barely out of spec. On the 2012 models the motor is locked in place with 3 screws and the rear axle is fixed in the swing arm. I loosened the 3 bolts, adjusted it, and torqued everything back. It took all of 15 minutes. I then checked air pressures and put in a little more air in the tires.

There were only a couple of wear items of note: the rear tire is disappearing really quickly and there are some rub marks around the rear shock body where the spring has contacted it during compression. That may have been from dirt caked on the shock. The rear tire is a stupid 110/90-16 size so replacement tire choices are going to be severely limited. The 2013 Zeros use more standard wheel sizes. I am not sure why Zero chose such an odd and limited size for this bike but I will not be really happy when it is time to look at options for new rubber as the choices will be small.

I looked around for other things to do on the bike... but there is not much there. When I ran the Buells it was important to carefully check wiring for rubs from vibration so I started down this road on the Zero and quickly saw that it was a waste of time. For one thing, there is no vibration and then the wiring harness is pretty simple and very well dressed and protected from the factory.

So there you have it:

- Total cost of $1,000 mile PM for a Zero DS: $0
- Total time investment about 30 minutes
- Tools required are very basic with some allen head sockets and a belt tension tool. I did use a torque wrench on the motor bolts.

Simplicity of maintenance and low cost of maintenance are a big score for the Zero!!

Cost of ownership to roll one of these bikes is super low once you pay the big price to get it out of the dealership.

Wind_Rider screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 08:54 PM
Wind_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote