Thread: About Schmidt
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #1377
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,370
Went for another quick blat after we got home from our annual Hanmer holiday this Avo. The box feels soo much smoother than the old temp box I was using. there is no more whining coming from below & seems to shift easier - maybe due to the new selector nylon wheel.

Anyway for those wanting to know the costs: (incl GST where appicable)

Bearings thru "The Front Shop" Port Nelson $176.00
circlip cutting & bearings pressed on at (good) engine reconditioners $165.00
mech to put shafts back in & shim using Nutsos shim plate $100.00 cash

Assorted seals ex motorbins........TBA

6 different sized shims ex motorworks $12.00 (postage $20.00 for something the size & weight of a bloody $2 coin)

Luckily everything looked good in the box so I didn't have to replace any expensive bits.
I removed box, dismantled it (used a few favours from mech mates) & ran around getting stuff & delivering to different places which took a bit of time but saved me money.

I was pretty shocked to hear of a gearbox being reconned in pommyland for 1000lbs including clutch Wow - either they were taking the piss or there must have been a lot of broken bits in it.

Edit: Had one of those 3am thoughts the other morning (when problems are usually solved easily for some strange reason) & wondered if the cheap degreaser I use when working on the bike has attacked the rubber bits making them easily damaged - hmmm.

Padmei screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 12:48 AM
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote