View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 530
I had an awesome time at the rally this year. Nice weather, good riding companions, and no major crashes or breakdowns on Friday or Saturday. I led a Hunter Mountain/Lippincott loop ride on Friday and joined the Cerro Gordo/Salt Tram ride on Saturday (where I ended up helping to lead a small group up to CG & the salt tram). Here are the pics:

Most of my group seemed to leave with the earlier ride to Hunter Mountain and Ubehebe, so it was a small group, including Eggroll (Luke), Soupknotzee (John), and Dirt Donkey (Mitchell). They were all on WR250R's, so I was the one on the "big" bike with my XR650L.

China Garden Spring

Darwin

We were buzzed by low flying fighter jets on the way to Saline Valley Road. Stopped for a brief look at Boxcar Cabin

Up the hill to South Pass and the Hunter Mountain junction

Lunch stop at Hunter Cabin

Down the hill through Hidden Valley to Teakettle Junction

On to the Racetrack & Lippincott

Stinez (Steve) joined us at the Racetrack for the ride down Lippincott

Out to Saline Valley Road and back over South Pass to the highway

Father Crowley overlook

Saturday, on the road to Darwin with a group of 7, including Eggroll (Luke), Soupknotzee (John), Fishwhisperer (Scott), Dirt Donkey (Mitchell), and Slugdad (Bill), AZ Tom and I.

Out into the Joshua Trees of Centennial Flat

Without any clear directions, we headed for the highway out to Keeler and Cerro Gordo Road

Quick elevation gain up to the former mining town of Cerro Gordo

Lunch stop at Cerro Gordo

Then we headed out to see the Salt Tram

Up to a nice overlook

"I think it's that way!"

On to a really challenging hill climb (even the donkey lost it's shoe...)

Only three of us (Soupknotzee, Dirt Donkey, and I) made it up the hill and continued on to the Salt Tram

Great riding & beautiful views along the ridge

The Salt Tram was really cool. An amazing engineering effort to lift salt from the Saline Valley up and over the ridge to Keeler and a ferry across Owens Lake.

We traveled back along the ridge and then down the back side of Cerro Gordo into the park and on to PSR

I had a great time. No photos of the evening activities, but the food was great and the raffle was quite a show on Saturday night. Looking forward to next year.

r3r3r screwed with this post 04-11-2014 at 03:22 PM Reason: change photo links
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote