View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #138
socially stunted
Addict

Oddometer: 58
Considering this for my wife's GS. Anyone think I could just grind a notch in the G2 similar to what the stock throttle tube has to allow the wires the pass through? That way I wouldn't have to cut into the switch housing?

[QUOTE=YetiGS;11442573]After a particularly rocky ride, I called at Sam at G2 Ergonomics to see when he'd officially have the G2 Tamer Tube for the F800GS. Turns out, Sam had just ordered the first batch and he agreed to send me the first one!! He now has them in stock although they're still not on the website. HERE

Of course then I rode every weekend and then got sick so it wasn't until today that I was able to install it. So here's how it goes.

This is what you get:

The tube and a G2 sticker are inside.

Take note of where the heating element wires leave the tube in relation to where the throttle cable hooks onto the tube. You want to make sure when you put it on the G2 that the wires are in pretty much the same location.

To remove the heating element from the tube, you cut off the little tabs you can see along the middle of the tube. I used a brand new razor and worked very carefully to trim them down, always slicing away from the wires in the element. Then the heating element can be peeled off the stock tube.

Here's a comparison of the two tubes:

I didn't take a picture of the next step, but essentially you just wrap the heating element around the G2 tube. Mine had enough "stick" that I didn't need to glue the element on the G2, it just stuck in place.

You then need to slightly notch the housing cover to let the wires pass through. I put a small piece of electrical tape over the notch so there wouldn't be a sharp edge.

Here you can see how the wires route out of the switch housing and onto the tube. Give the throttle a few twists to make sure you have enough slack and adjust as needed before finally buttoning everything up. I used a small wrap of electrical tape to make everything look better. I would have preferred to use shrink wrap but the little chinga on the wires wouldn't let me slide the right size shrink wrap over it.

socially stunted screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 08:34 PM
socially stunted is offline   Reply With Quote