View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #107
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentwest View Post
Sometimes the rollers in the variator get out of their seats and jam and the variator doesn't work right. If you take off the belt cover and start the engine you should be able to see the variator squeeze closed as the engine revs up, and reopen at idle. If it doesn't then take it off, take it apart and reassemble it right. You need to keep it squeezed together as you put it on the shaft, and the press it on to the shaft all the way and hold it while you slide in the big bushing. Don't force the bushing, just slide it in, then put on the belt, the outer plate, the washer and the nut.
That was the problem, or I think it was. One of the rollers had come out of its track and gotten chewed up a bit. I should have the new ones tomorrow. I also ordered a new belt since it measured under min spec. Cleaned the carb last weekend and that looked pretty good. Hope the rollers solve the problem. It's going to start warming up and I wanna scoot and let the DR sit for awhile. It's been a work horse this winter and deserves a break.
Hopefully this will be the last time I have to tear the body off for awhile. I'm getting much faster at dismantling and reassembly though.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote