View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #18
stan.riner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Viethorse, thanks for the great info.

You and your friends have really nice bikes. I've always liked that Honda Interceptor that you have.

It seems like foreigners have a nice time living and working there. I was researching about learning Vietnamese and I read on an expat forum about one guy that gave up learning it after 3 months and has been there 10 years! Another bit if info was that it's more difficult to learn because you're never truly immersed in it because you speak English at work (with other expats for sure and a lot of Vietnamese also speak English) and you don't have to learn Vietnamese to function. I would love to be able to learn it but I understand the challenges.

The locals must be saying "if you're going to be here, learn the damn language" like we Americans like to say!

Funny story:
In the 80's, my mom worked at a wholesaler and several Vietnamese folks worked there. Of course they would speak Vietnamese to each other (just like I'll speak English with other English speakers when I'm around them in Vietnam). She was convinced they were talking about her. In hindsight, they probably could have cared less!

I'm confident that we'll make new friends especially if we get into motorcycling.
stan.riner is offline   Reply With Quote