Thread: KLR250 thread
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #1028
Dblarrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by rube View Post
So the stock coolant overflow tank interfered with the idle speed screw, float bowel drain screw, and the choke on the Mikuni TM33 I mounted on my KLR250.
I made a new, smaller tank from a baby bottle (clear and heat resistant). Now I can drain the float bowl, reach the idle screw and it looks like I can fit the carb mounted choke plunger. Right now the baby bottle is zip tied to the frame. If it seems to work, I'll work out a better mount.
I drilled two holes through the baby bottle flat storage top, epoxied a couple hose barbs in the holes. One of the barbs has a hose inside the bottle that hooks to the radiator tube, the othe barb hooks outside the bottle to the vent tube that goes to the rear fender. The baby bottle nipple flange is being used as a gasket.

I think it will work. If it warms up a little next week I'll get some more riding in with the new carb and catch tank.

rube
Anybody just not use the overflow tank? Put a KLX carb on my 89 and it has the choke knob on the card and the tank is in the way. Pulled the tank and plugged the lines and ran around the yard and back roads and the temp stayed just short of mid gauge. So how critical is that overflow?

Also have the CW 330 kit and he put a pressure relief hole in the rotor cover and a 1/4" line out the back of the bike. So the tank gets in the way of that also.
Dblarrow is offline   Reply With Quote