View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
DesertSurfer OP
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,226
L.A. to San Francisco Adventure Rally for Pyndon

I just couldn't pass up a chance to see Pyndon (Lyndon Poskitt) talk about his 2013 Dakar experience. He placed 9th in a stage as a privateer. And beyond that his KTM 950 experience and knowledge is legendary.

So I decided to create a predominantly dirt and broken blacktop ride from L.A. to San Francisco on my old 2004 Adventure to show my appreciation and attend his event "Rally Style".

Prepping the old gal for an adventure ride is always the least of my problems. Here I've replaced cleaned filters and skins. My big problem is getting time away from work.

I needed at least two days to make this trip interesting as well as feasible getting to SFO, and add another two days for the return. And I'd better throw on a fresh tire and HD tube.

Since I had just started a new work project, chances of getting time off were slim. And weather forecasts were for rain during the dates of the trip. Here's the storm passing through my route the morning of my departure, forcing me to a four hour delay.

As the odds continued to stack up against me... I decided to shine some positive light on the situation. Here I've added new auxillary lights just in case? And special thanks to Tom at Santa Monica Honda for rush order and set up help.

My riding gear for the 4 day trip consisted of water resistant Fly Racing Jacket and separate liner ( right to left). FR water resistent pants with CE knee/ shin pads, Nike ACG padded cycling cool johns, 2 pairs silver threaded moisture wicking socks, Alpinestars padded undershorts and coolmax undershirt, FR water proof gloves, FR coolflow jersey, Sidi onroad boots and Alpinestars compression jacket. I also brought a small back with additional non riding socks, pants, t-shirt, mx gloves, towel, firstaid and toiletries kit.

My travel gear consisted of ( right to left/ clockwise) Backcountry 2 tent, Micro sleeping back and Micro insulation bag layer, Micro Cot, Micro rocking campchair, Mini air mattress and pillow, IPad, Nikon J1, Garmin 660, Cable connections organizer, Micro cook stove, mess gear, waterproof matches, freeze dried food for 8 meals, hot tea bags, 1/2 gallon of water for cooking, tire irons and patchkit, electric tire pump, spare tube, coolant, clutch fluid, engine oil, nitril gloves, locking scissor clamps, metal wire, gorilla tape, heavy cord, zip ties and ratchet strap (easy access under rack), Giant Loop and Alpinestars backpack with 70 L Camel bak water, head flashlight, hunters knife and protein bars.

It helps that I keep my travel gear pre packed. When I received the O.K. from work it was the day before I needed to leave.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 11:48 AM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote